It’s only 10am, you’ve got a hard day of rehearsals ahead and you are already feeling lightheaded from your sugar dropping. Save yourself by prepping a quick, lentil salad the night before.
The iron in lentils will give you long lasting energy while their source of soluble fiber will help stabilize your blood sugar.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups black or green lentils
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 3 shallots peeled and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the lentils in a large pot and cover them with water, leaving an inch or so to spare.
- Add the parsley, thyme and bay leaf, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- While the lentils are simmering, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk briskly.
- Drain water.
- Toss the lentils with tomato, feta, and dressing. You may serve warm or chill and eat the next day!
Joanie Johnson is a certified health coach (CHC) through the Institute for Integrated Nutrition. Joanie is board certified through the American Association of Drugless Practioners (AADP), holds a B.A. in dance from Slippery Rock University, is a certified Pilates instructor, TRX trainer, professional modern dancer with HT Chen and Dancers, a Julie Morgentstern trained organizer and an all-around busy, motivated woman in New York City. She founded Motivated Nutrition (www.motivatednutrition.net) to educate and motivate movers and food lovers of all ages through individual and group coaching, fitness classes, cooking demonstrations, creative movement based workshops, and educational seminars. Joanie believes in everyone’s right to live an active, healthy lifestyle and enjoys sharing her passion of optimal wellness through movement, fun and delicious food!