It’s only 10am, you’ve got a hard day of rehearsals ahead and you are already feeling lightheaded from your sugar dropping. Save yourself by prepping a quick, lentil salad the night before.
The iron in lentils will give you long lasting energy while their source of soluble fiber will help stabilize your blood sugar.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups black or green lentils
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 3 shallots peeled and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the lentils in a large pot and cover them with water, leaving an inch or so to spare.
- Add the parsley, thyme and bay leaf, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- While the lentils are simmering, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk briskly.
- Drain water.
- Toss the lentils with tomato, feta, and dressing. You may serve warm or chill and eat the next day!