Do you add a shot of spirulina, wheat grass or other energy promising supplements when you order a green juice? If so, you may be wasting your money.
These fillers are expensive and aren’t a long term solution, they only supplement what’s missing from your diet. If you are eating regular balanced meals and not restricting calories, you don’t need to spend the extra cash on these costly miracle health boosters.
The healthy dancer solution:
- Get as many whole foods into your diet as possible. Stay away from foods in packages. Mother nature knows best.
- Eat the rainbow. The more colors on your plate, the more nutrition in your body!
- Don’t skip meals, this may cause you to overeat later.
- Say NO to crazy diets. You’re a dancer, food is your fuel! Carbs, healthy fats and calories feed your muscles and brain.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is your BFF.
Healthy Dancer Juice
Prep Time: 5 min
Yield: 1 serving
- Heaping handful of greens (spinach, kale, swiss chard)
- 3 carrots (or 1/2 cup organic carrot juice)
- 1 cored apple
- 1 cucumber
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup of water (lessen to 1/2 cup if using carrot juice)
- 1 tsp of grated ginger root
Place all ingredients in a juicer or blender and enjoy!
*Experiment with different greens, vegetables and fruits. The combinations of healthy, whole foods are endless!
Do you ever make your own juice at home?
Do you think about adding as many colors as possible? If so, what’s your favorite recipe?
Joanie Johnson is a certified health coach (CHC) through the Institute for Integrated Nutrition. Joanie is board certified through the American Association of Drugless Practioners (AADP), holds a B.A. in dance from Slippery Rock University, is a certified Pilates instructor, TRX trainer, professional modern dancer with HT Chen and Dancers, a Julie Morgentstern trained organizer and an all-around busy, motivated woman in New York City. She founded Motivated Nutrition (www.motivatednutrition.net) to educate and motivate movers and food lovers of all ages through individual and group coaching, fitness classes, cooking demonstrations, creative movement based workshops, and educational seminars. Joanie believes in everyone’s right to live an active, healthy lifestyle and enjoys sharing her passion of optimal wellness through movement, fun and delicious food!