I’m very excited to unveil the new and improved Dance Advantage. There is still much to do and fix up around here and there is still more to come in the future but, this re-design is something that I’ve been wanting to accomplish for some time.
Some things you should know…
The articles and content are still here and at the same URL’s as before. Most of the changes have been cosmetic.
The enhanced navigational elements of this design are the feature that I’m most excited about.
- It seems a simple thing but, when you click on the Dance Advantage logo in the header, now you’ll be taken to the home page.
- Below the header are the primary navigation links which were at the top of the old design. Notice the fancy schmancy drop-down menus for subpages!
- Just beneath the main navigation bar are links to the blog’s major categories.
- The subcategories are accessible too! For instance in the “Toolbox,” you’ll find posts about performance, music, technique, and more!
- The home page now features boxes that display the most recent posts in three very important categories – For Students; For Teachers; For Parents. It’s all about you, after all!
Why is this so exciting?
Because Dance Advantage covers a wide-range of topics within dance education.
Previously visitors to the blog would see the most recent posts but had to dig deeper for posts that were directly related to their interests. For example, parents visiting the site may be looking for tips on finding a good studio or supporting their young dancer. If the most recent posts are geared to teachers or students, a parent, seeing nothing that pertains to them, will leave and miss relevant information. The navigational changes ultimately make the blog more user friendly for those looking for something specific.
So, if you are new to the blog, a recent subscriber, or just passing through. Feel free to explore!
I look forward to your thoughts and comments on the new design below.
Nichelle Suzanne is a writer specializing in dance and online content. She is also a dance instructor with over 20 years experience teaching in dance studios, community programs, and colleges. She began Dance Advantage in 2008, equipped with a passion for movement education and an intuitive sense that a blog could bring dancers together. As a Houston-based dance writer, Nichelle covers dance performance for Dance Source Houston, Arts+Culture Texas, and other publications. She is a leader in social media within the dance community and has presented on blogging for dance organizations, including Dance/USA. Nichelle provides web consulting and writing services for dancers, dance schools and studios, and those beyond the dance world. Read Nichelle’s posts.