Throughout the Why Dance Matters event, fabulous submissions were received from people who wanted to share why dance matters to them. Below, I believe I’ve gathered most of the posts. However, if yours is not listed please feel free to add a link in the comments. As for the hundreds of tweets posted via the #whydancematters hashtag on Twitter, I can only say I am in absolute AWE of what can be said in 140 characters! Bravo.
If you’d like to continue the conversation, share and discuss Why Dance Matters on Facebook via its NEW page!
Why Dance Matters to YOU
Meg Mahoney, a full-time dance specialist in a public elementary school has been prolifically blogging concise thoughts in a series about Why Dance Matters. Below are the links but I suspect she has more to say on the topic so stay tuned to her blog.
- Why Dance Matters: it transforms
- Why Dance Matters — it’s contagious — in a good way
- Why Dance Matters: it nurtures our better selves
- Why Dance Matters: it’s for yourself alone
- Why Dance Matters: it’s fun!
- Why Dance Matters: it’s a break for the body & mind
- Why Dance Matters: it’s playful
- Why Dance Matters: more voices from the dance classroom
Maria Hanley, in addition to her interview with 4 and 5 year olds, interviewed her parents and a students’ mommy to find out Why Dance Matters to them!
The artists of Indigenous Pitch Dance Collective, through the art of dance, assist and nurture children affected by natural and/or socioeconomic disasters, fulfilling this mission with performances, residencies and workshops throughout the United States and abroad. Here are their reasons…
- Indigenous Pitch » 3 Reasons #WhyDanceMatters
- Indigenous Pitch » Dance and Health, 3 More Reasons #WhyDanceMatters
More participants provide their reasons in written form…
- Reflections in Verse and Prose: The Healing Art of Dance Therapy
- Moving together « We Dance With Dolphins
- Letters (and a Poem) from Leaping Legs
- Shelley’s Bellydance Adventures
- Why Dance Matters to Leslea Clark
- Why Does Dance Matter? « Random Connections
See Why Dance Matters to Leslea’s students too: Uptown Dance: Why Dance Matters
Reaching onward and outward…
- The Menomonee Club Shows Why Dance Matters (Chicago, IL, U.S.)
- Twitter Recap at Awareness Musings (Seattle, WA, U.S.)
- The Ballet Bag (U.K.)
- Elbaz Dance (Israel)
- Asha World Dancers (Nevada, U.S.)
- @NuevoDance “We all need a way – our own way – to change the world for the better.”
- @pinkypatchy04 Dance can transform a mediocre day into a joyous one. Dance inspires us to transcend the ordinary & become greater
- @nanckj watching my students grow, being a mentor & friend. A positive spot in their day! Making sure they have self confidence
- @youdancefunny: Dance taught me to be happy with who I saw in the mirror and because of that I finally became human.
- @kinetic_element when I am happy, when I am sad, when I am angry – dance is always there for me
- @seenfromafar because it lets me express my most profound hopes, enamored daydreams, deep insecurities, and cherished memories
- More #whydancematters
Thanks for taking the time to participate and affirm why dance matters.