Garbanzo beans, or chickpeas as you may know them, are the main ingredient in this easy to pack and carry snack. Many dancers keep fresh cut veggies in their bag to munch on as a quick, hunger buster throughout the day. Having some hummus on hand to use as a dip, will help keep you fuller longer and give your body an additional dose of protein and fiber.
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
Yield: 3 cups
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas precooked in pressure cooker
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup or more spring water, use chickpea water
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food mill and purée until creamy. It is easier to do it in several smaller batches.
- Add more garlic, tahini or lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with pita bread, crackers or crudités.
Notes and Variations: Use canned beans to save time. Use as a spread for healthy sandwiches and add sprouts, lettuce, tomato or any other fresh vegetables. Add fresh parsley to the blender for a lighter flavor.