I’m guessing you’re here because you’re not all that familiar with Dance Advantage. If so, you may want to read what we’re all about here. Another way to get to know us is through our content…
There are over 500 posts at DA that will help you succeed in your pursuit or delivery of dance and dance training. It can be difficult to filter through and find what’s most useful to you, so I decided to do the hard work and organize some of our very best content for you.
Find the topic or topics that interest you the most, and enjoy!
- Sickling and Rolling In
- How to Nurture Your Turnout
- What Is My Core or Center?
- Muscles 101: How Muscles Work (and why comparing them to a rubber band might be stretching it)
- Is It Okay To Stretch Before Class?
- The Stem of Aplomb (otherwise known as The Spine)
- Lifting Your Leg From Underneath and Other Impossible Feats
- Getting Your Students to “Eat Their Vegetables” and Like It!
- 12 Tips for Teaching Tots
- How to Make Tap Dance Come Alive
- Presenting Hip Hop In a Positive Light
- Exploring Different Teaching Styles
- Transition into Classroom Management Success
- Appraising the Value of Praise
- A Prescription for Students Who’ve Skipped the Basics
- Props Aren’t Just For Babies
- What You Can Do To Improve Tendu (and why it’s crucial)
- Defining and Dissecting a Piqué Turn
- Help With Second Position Of The Arms
- 15 Things The Pirouette Pixie Can’t Do For You
- A Jeté That’s Truly Grand
- Vertically Challenged: Improving Your Jumps
- Your Blueprint for Better Balancing
- See Spot Turn
- All In The Family: Battement
- Stretching For Front Splits
- Help! My Child Doesn’t Listen To The Dance Teacher
- When Should My Child See a Doctor for Injuries?
- The Truth About Well-Rounded Dancers
- Helping Competitive Dance Live Up To Its Potential
- Bullying in Dance Class
- How Much Dance Should My Child Be Taking?
- Helping Dancers Deal With Disappointment
- How To Discuss Problems With Your Studio Director and Be Heard
- Dance of Independence
- What are the Pros and Cons of Dance Competition?
Seen enough? If you’re digging this, there’s more but you can subscribe right now and get the very latest:
We will never share, trade, sell, deliver, reveal, publicize, or market your email address in any way, shape, or form. Period.
Savvy Studio Ownership
- Recalculating Problems With Parents At Your Studio
- How to Build Enrollment with School-Aged Dancers
- Encouraging Boys to Dance
- 4 Ways to Get Organized at Your Dance Studio
- How Do You Define “Dolly Dinkle” Dance Instruction?
- Leveraging Your Dance Studio’s Identity To Grow Your Business
- Do Your Communications With Parents Pass The Scan, Scroll, Stroll Test?
- What To Do When You Welcome A Guest Teacher
- S.T.E.P. Your Way To Social Media Success
- Four Ways to Make an Impact with Low Cost Marketing
- Five Ways Postmodern Principles Can Positively Impact Your Studio
Performance Onstage and Off
- Backstage Bliss: 11 Guidelines for Students in a Dance Recital
- 7 Secrets of Super Performers (Improving Your Performance Skills)
- How To Make Choreography “Your Own”
- What Is Artistry and How Do I Develop It?
- 16 Audition Basics and Pointers For Keeping A Positive Perspective
- Ballet Eye Makeup Made Easy
- How To Act (and React) Like a Professional
Beginning as a Teen or Adult
- “Late Beginner” Blues And How To Get Beyond Them
- Adult Ballet Beginners on Schedules, Attire, and Blogging
- But What I Really Want To Do Is Dance!
- Two Teenaged Students Blogging About Ballet
- As Young As You Feel
- Using Your Past in Future Dances
- Appropriate Choices In Dance Choreography For Young Girls
- Choreographing Performances For Unconventional Spaces
- Using Photographs as Inspiration for Choreography
- Choosing And Editing The Right Song For Your Dancers
- Exploration ➙ Structure ➙ Choreography: Helping Students Make Their Own Dances
- Approaching Choreography for Musical Theatre
- Pointe Readiness and What To Expect
- Life Lessons on Injury: Arriving at Plan C
- 10 Manageable Stress Relievers for Women (and Men)
- Stretching Safely for Splits
- Dancer Fitness
- Nutrition for Dancers
- Getting Knee Deep With Dr. Craig Westin
- The Achilles Tendon: Dancer Injury and Prevention
- Preparing For An Intensive Summer Program (in NYC or elsewhere)
- Insight Into ABT’s National Training Curriculum
- Helping Fund Your Summer Intensive
- 15 Ways To Activate Brain And Body During Summer Break
- Summing Up The (Dance Teacher) Summit
- Tap Away Those Summertime Blues
- Where Can Teachers Continue Their Education?
- Auditioning, Planning and Preparing for Summer Dance Intensives
Careers and College
- The Right Steps Towards A Career In Dance
- 10 Credits Dancers Take With Them to College
- Ballet and Sacrifice: More Than One Story; More Than One Definition
- The Professional Dancer’s Survival Kit
- 4 Tips for Transitioning from Competitive to Recreational Dance in College
- 5 Must-Dos Before You Apply For A Creative Graduate Program
- How to Decide on a College
- Profile of an American Icon: A Few Words With Paul Taylor
- First of All — A Chat with Prix de Lausanne Winner Emanuel Amuchastegui
- My First-Time YAGP Experience
- Isadora Duncan: Mother of Modern Dance
- Attitude and Strong Technique Make Allison Miller One To Watch
- Biographies You Can Sink Your Teeth Into
- Mao’s Last Dancer: From Page to Screen to Classroom
- Duncan Lyle — From Royal Ballet School To Boston Ballet
- Joseph Walsh (Princess Grace Award-Winner) Graces the Stage
- The Nutcracker At It’s Corps With Apprentice, Madison Morris
- Dancing Across Borders
- Richard Maddock is One With The Music: Accompanying Dancers
- Maria Is Moving, Creating, Educating
And that’s just our past!
There are over 100 posts above but the list of topics could go on… dance history, class music, cultural dance forms, navigating the net, and more.
And every week we deliver still more useful, intelligent content!
Don’t miss what’s in the future
Let Dance Advantage…
- keep you connected to new dance resources,
- provide inspiration and techniques for class,
- bring the dance world to you,
- and help you make the most of your dance experience.
Get free updates, a monthly newsletter, and a weekly roundup of dance-specific links:
Unearthing more great content
Dance Advantage is home to more than 500 articles (and growing), however as this is a blog, the freshest content gets the spotlight while older posts can become buried. There are a few ways to unearth these articles.
- Use the search bar on the top portion of the site.
- Check out the archives which lists posts according to month and year.
- Click on the appropriate category listing in the Articles By Topic dropdown menu in our sidebar.
- When you’re on a post you like, find related posts of interest at the bottom.
- Subscribe and get unique access to backposts through newsletters and other emails.
Something not on Dance Advantage that should be?
1. Take 5 minutes and give feedback in this short survey.
2. Contact me and ask or let me know what you want and need from Dance Advantage!
Below you’ll find more important links and starting points to help you navigate around the site.